Your First Zumba® Fitness Class: What You Should Know
January is around the corner. Do something good for yourself and try to add a little more activity to your routine.
You know what I'm gonna say–come to Zumba® with Shannon! I offer three classes each week to help you with your personal goals towards better fitness.
We have students of all activity levels, and all have a good time. That's why they keep coming back.
What should you know your first time at my Zumba® Fitness class?
- Don't sweat it. I mean, you're gonna sweat. But don't worry about things. Just move your body and enjoy the music. Nobody's paying you any attention except the instructor, and she's your cheerleader.
- It gets easier every time. Honest! We repeat our routines a lot on purpose. The better you know the routine the more fun you have with it, and the harder you work at it. Give the class two weeks first, and then decide if it's for you or not.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Most students like to wear a t-shirt or tank top, workout pants or shorts, and athletic shoes and socks. For shoes, I prefer cross-trainers, which are built for the side-to-side motion of aerobics (unlike, say, running or walking shoes). You can also wear dance fitness shoes, which may have less support but make pivoting easier.
- Bring water and a towel if you want. There's a drinking fountain in class (and restrooms, in case you wondered), but you'll be glad to have your own since the fountain's at the front of the class. Some people like a towel to wipe their glistening brows during the workout.
- Have fun! Let yourself go. Enjoy the music, and enjoy the feeling of moving your body to it. This goes with the first point about not worrying, but it's worth saying twice!
- Talk to your instructor! I like to get to know my students individually (and, OK, my memory's bad with name and faces, but give me a little time; I get it eventually!). I'm here for you. Without you, I would not teach. Ask me questions. Tell me what you like, or what you need help with. If you can't catch me before or after class, use the contact form on this website or drop me a message on Facebook.
Every time I visit a new exercise class I remember what it's like as a student for the first time. It is not always easy! I try to make my classes fun and accessible for everyone, whether it's your first time or fiftieth.
So come and try. It won't kill you, and it may even help you feel better–happier, stronger, healthier.
This entry was posted by Shannon on December 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm, and is filed under Zumba. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.